Join Texans who have already signed the 2017 Save Texas Schools petition! Get your friends and family to sign on! This petition will be sent to all state officials who are involved in making decisions about our public schools.
We, the undersigned, believe that a strong public school system is the most important investment we can make in our children and our state’s economic future. Yet our school finance system has been described as underfunded and inequitable by the Texas State Supreme Court, and hundreds of schools are considered underperforming by the TEA. We need to develop long term solutions to the root problems facing our schools.
We call on all state leaders – both officeholders and candidates – to pledge their support for the following actions in this legislative session and going forward:
- Increase funding for all Texas public schools this session using the basic allotment. The state needs to pay its fair share, not balance school budgets on the backs of local property taxpayers.
- Revise school finance laws to provide fair and sufficient funding for all Texas students.
- Say no to vouchers or similar schemes that would divert scarce public dollars to unaccountable private schools and programs.
- Reduce the amount of time Texas students spend on high-stakes standardized testing. Tests should diagnose, not punish.
- Reject the flawed A-F rating system for grading public schools.
- Use positive, community-based solutions to support and improve struggling schools and students.
After you've signed the petition, you'll be on our mailing list for regular updates and actions you can take. (You can unsubscribe at any time.)
Now, sign up to attend and bring others to the SAVE TEXAS SCHOOLS STATEWIDE RALLY at the Texas State Capitol on Saturday, March 25, 2017! If you can't make it yourself, you can still mobilize others from your family, school, community, faith-based group, or other organization.